Monday, July 13, 2009

The Country Fest Blues

Summer is here and the activites of summer have commenced. One would think that I would have mounds of time to record the events. Not. Noah saved his money, and could hardly wait for the South Jordan Country Festival. Last year was so much fun.The first three weeks of June was all about rain, not just pitter, patter rain, but pouring rain.The day had arrived and we were not about to let a few dark clouds keep us from a couple of rides. The crowds at the fair were no where to be found. That meant for short lines...more like, no lines. It really wouldn't be that bad if we had had our jackets. I told Rick to take Noah on a few rides and I would run home and get the jackets and the rain gear. There was the kiddies train, the merry go round, the boats, and the fun house with bouncy toys. As I turned to leave, I couldn't help but wonder if we should have come yesterday. It was the only beautiful day we had had since school let out and our cute little busterooni was wearing yesterdays sunshine on his cheeks. (Because it was the only sun we'd seen in a while, I was not prepped with sunscreen.)  Today we would not have to worry about sunscreen.
I gathered enough rain gear to outlast any storm. I was huffing and puffing across the field with my arms full to the brim. I couldn't see Rick or Noah by the rides. I walked on over to the car/motorcycle display. I thought Rick would be ineterested in looking at the Anitque Cars. Noah turned around and my first thought was, "What happened to Noah's sunburned cheeks?"He was sporting a not so nice shade of BLUE.  Rick had used the first couple of tickets on the spinning rides and now all Noah wanted to do was go home. He was not feeling well at all. I wouldn't even say he was pale--this was a color I was not familiar with. I had him lie down on the blanket. I wasn't ready to leave. We still had tickets and booths to see. I wanted this to be a great day for Noah.

It wasn't long before Noah's breakfast resurfaced on the lawn. Funny how all one has to do is throw up and the color in your face returns. He wasn't feeling up for rides, but the booths where you pay for darts to pop a balloon and get a prize looked good to Noah. I was game, but Rick saw it as a further waste of money. Noah had a few rounds and his smile was back on his face.
The clouds grew dark and the wind began to blow. It would not be long before we would be in a downpour. We gave the rest of our tickets to one of the other families that decided to brave the weather. They were huddeled under one umbrella by a tree with hopes that the storm would blow over. No chance.

Though the Country Fest was not how we remembered it, we made new memories. I am sure we will be back next year, but maybe we will be a little more wise as to the rides we start with.


What I learned from Noah: If you don't want to stay long at the fair--go on the spinning rides first.

No comments:

Post a Comment