Monday, July 13, 2009

Storm Chasing

This has definitely been the summer of storms. I have always thought that if I had the experience, the expertise, and the convenience, storm chasing would be right up my alley. One evening, Noah and I stepped out for bags of ice. When the garage door went up, there was a beautiful cloud before our eyes. I ran in the house for my camera just in case.
It wasn't long before the clouds began their transfromation. I was in awe of the beauty of the storm and I wanted to be a participant. I pulled off into a vacant parking lot, rolled down the windows and let the wind blow through me. Noah felt the same excitement and climbed up front while I snapped pictures. There was thunder and lightening and then...battery died. How is it that even when I think I am prepared (bringing the camera) I am still not prepared (dead battery.)

We watched for a few more moments. We were counting lightening strikes and thunder. Noah and I both let out a scream when the thunder and the lightening hit at the same time. We felt the vibration and we trembled like no ones business. It felt almost like it was directly above us.Then it rained a torrential rain. By the time we arrived back at home, the sun was trying to peer through the clouds. It made for a beautiful reflection and silhoutette.

I quickly grabbed Rick's camera, determined to follow this storm through until the end. It just doesn't get better than this...or maybe it does.

I turned around and above our home and perfectly framed was a double rainbow. Both rainbows very vibrant and clear. There was not a way to get the whole of the picturesque scene that was before me in a picture, but that didn't keep me from trying.
Just when I thought it wouldn't get any better, there above me, the clouds had transformed again. What an amazing setting of the sun. I took hundreds of pictures.I lived in the moment of the storm with my best friend, Noah. The hundreds of photos were put into a Shutterfly Book for viewing again and again.


What I learned from Noah: He has inherited his mom's love for the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment