Monday, July 13, 2009

Happy Birthday America

Rick would often comment that celebrating the Fourth of July in Idaho Falls, was like taking a trip into the movie, "Doc Hollywood" with Michael J. Fox. Granted, we are not like the big timers in Salt Lake City. The parade of trucks, tractors and off-beat marching drill teams might give him reason to think that, but not the Fireworks in the evening. All one has to do is mention Idaho Falls to someone and they say, "Have you seen their spectacular firework show?"(We are not just famous for our potatoes.)

Some years, I did not make it to Idaho Falls because I had been invited to"The Stadium of Fire."Stars such as Donny Osmond soaring into the Stadium via glider never left me longing for the festivities in Idaho Falls. Since then we have been invited to friend's homes for barbecues, up Brighton Canyon for breakfast and a bicycle parade, yet, we have found the small community celebrations to be the most memorable.
When we took up residence here in South Jordan, one of the first items we were informed about, was the famous neighborhood "Cul de Sac of Fire." There would be no need to purchase pricey tickets to firework shows or make the drive to Idaho Falls. Last year's experience proved this to be true.

Fortunately for us, we had the privilege of having Jenn Bodine attend with us this year. She had no idea what to expect other than food and fireworks. Jenn and I began our preparations in the kitchen--making sugar cookies, getting our meat for the grill, buns, and the like. Noah was busy loading up his jeep with camp chairs and the fireworks he had selected earlier in the week. At 7:00 p.m. we walked to our Fourth of July Celebration--"The Cul de Sac of Fire."
As we came around the corner, I saw the look on Jenn's face.  It was neither one of surprise or shock, but that of stifled laughter. Clearly, we are on a small scale in comparison with the Los Altos, California Folk. All I could do was laugh with her.
Rick put meat on the grill, Noah gave jeep rides, and I took Jenn on a "meet my neighbor/niece" tour around the circle. We went to the buffet table to fill our paper plates with some of the neighbor's Fourth of July Specialties.

We didn't even get to dessert before all the children were in the center of the circle lighting up their own cheesy, loud whistling, smelly and occasionally duddy fireworks. I think that is what makes it such a thrill, that it is somewhat silly, quaint and over the top charming.

Before dusk, Noah had finished his set of fireworks. He would have stayed longer, but we were urged on home to watch a DVD. Sunday Morning comes early and we had burned the fireworks at both ends this July Fourth. I find myself as Patriotic as ever. I love to see America's Flag wave. I know we belong to a choice and promised land in which I am forever grateful to live and to be a citizen. Happy Birthday America.

What I learned from Noah:You can never have enough fireworks.

What I learned from Jenn: Tee hee hee hee hee.

What I learned from Rick: He is feeling more comfortable in this type setting.

What I learned from the neighbors: The best entertainment is often right in your own front yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment