Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Luck of West Yellowstone

I always knew I was the luckiest Aunt around, but I didn't know just how blessed I was to have such amazing nieces and nephews. As they have grown into their own personalities, I continue to learn and grow from their example. Mallory and Jenn went into West Yellowstone with the rest of the crew. Most had tickets to Playmill Theatre. Mallory and Jenn had already seen the show and they decided that hanging out in West would provide them with an opportunity to create some fun.
I don't know who came up with the idea, but that wasn't the point. I thought surely they would be off shopping and scamming for cute boys that were tourists in this little town. Unbeknownst to me, they went around town bringing "LUCK" to those that were visiting.
The young women had a handful of pennies, that could have been spent on the penny candy in the sweet shop. Everyone knows the old adage, "Find a penny, pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck." Jenn and Mallory went around the town strategically placing pennies on the sidewalks for others to find. An "Abe Lincoln heads up" meant even more luck. If the penny did not land heads up, it got another toss. Only the best of luck would be acceptable for the visitors of West according to the minds of such lovely, thoughtful young women.
Later on, Mallory and Jenn retraced their steps to see if the pennies had been picked up. Sure enough, some of the pennies were in the pockets of others with the hope of good luck in the future. Later, when I heard about their kindness, and not from their boasting, but from a keen observer, I was sure to praise them for this deed.

I had seen pennies on the ground before, in fact Noah picked one up yesterday. "Hey mom, look, I found a lucky penny!" and then he put it in his pocket. I remember being at Bischoff's Carwash. I saw a quarter and a few pennies. I bent down to pick the coins up and every single one of them was glued to the pavement. I am sure someone was watching to see how many individuals would stoop for the prank. But oh no, not my nieces. They were not about making people look and feel foolish, but blessing lives and making others feel great!!!! What a contrast in the likes of a penny.

Now it would have been fine to end the story there, but later in the week, we were back in town for another show. We had a few minutes to walk the streets, stop in the candy store and fill our bags with over-priced PENNY candy. One of my nieces reached in her purse and pulled out a coin and said something similar to "here's a coin for you to toss and leave on the street for someone else to pick up and you can have the honor of being the means of someone feeling lucky." I was so impressed that she would want for me to experience and feel the joy that they had felt earlier on. Need I say more.  If they hapPENNY to read this--I love you!

Aunt Becca

What I learned from my Nieces:  Look for ways to bring joy to others and the worth of a penny far exceeds one cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment